About downloading images
If you have a Premium Access or an Easy-access agreement, you can download images directly from the search results page, image details page or lightbox. If you have an Editorial subscription agreement and want to download images available through your subscription agreement, you will be redirected to the Getty Images website to download those images. All images that you download are compressed JPG files. The small file size of compressed files allows images to download faster. To make sure the image size you select is appropriate for your intended use, check the dimensions displayed on the image details page. Selecting the largest image size gives you greater flexibility to scale the image without losing quality.
Downloading Premium Access and Easy-access images
Images available through your Premium Access or Easy-access agreement are clearly marked and are restricted to specific portfolios or collections per the terms of your agreement.
Note: If an image is covered under a subscription agreement, you'll see a message below the image on the search results page.
Downloading a single image
- Do one of the following:
- On the search results page, click the Download image icon below the image you want to download, and then follow the instructions on the subsequent pop-up windows.
- On the image details page, select the image size you want, and then do one of the following:
- To download an Easy-access image, click Easy-access download, and then follow the instructions on the subsequent pop-up windows.
- To download a Premium Access image, click Premium Access download, and then follow the instructions on the subsequent pop-up windows.
- Open or save the file to a location on your computer.
Note: Download time varies depending on the size of image you're downloading, the speed of your internet connection and the speed of your computer.
Downloading multiple images
Tips for downloading
On the search results page, select the checkbox next to the image number below each image you want to download.
Note: If you don't see the image number checkbox below the image, check View at the top-center of the page to make sure you are viewing images and not events. If you are viewing events, change the view by clicking the images link next to View.
Tip: To select all images on the page at once, at the top center-left of the search results page, next to Select, click All.
- At the top-center of the page, next to Selected images, click Download, and then follow the instructions on the subsequent pop-up windows.
Open or save the files to a location on your computer.
- Multiple images are downloaded in a zip file and can be opened with a WinZip or Stuffit expander.
- From the search results page, you can select up to 90 images to download, which are added to a zip file. However, the maximum number of images allowable in a download zip file is 30. If you select up to 90 images to download, your images will be downloaded in 3 separate zip files.
- Downloading multiple images at the same time may increase your overall download time.
Downloading Editorial subscription images
- Our images are compressed for download. If opened in your browser window, these images will decompress to their full size onscreen. This can cause out of memory errors and slower downloads. To avoid errors and slow downloads, save the files directly to a location on your computer. Otherwise, you can still save the image after it opens and displays on the screen by selecting File, and clicking Save as.
- If you selected the Always download the largest file size available checkbox, and at a later time, you want to change the setting to manually select the download file size, you can do so by clearing the checkbox on the Please wait for your download to begin or the Preparing zip file for download pop-up windows.
- For an overview of your download history, click My Account in the upper-right of the page. You can search downloads by date or item number. You can also sort downloads by date, item number, media type, or by license agreement – Premium Access, Easy-access or Editorial subscription.
Images available through your Editorial subscription agreement are clearly marked as Subscription and are restricted to specific portfolios or collections per the terms of your agreement. Editorial subscription images are available for download on the Getty Images site only. When you select a subscription image to download, a message appears with a link that redirects you to the Getty Images site to complete your download.
If your download fails
If your images fail to download, please contact us by phone or email.
Top of section
About Easy-access downloads
Easy-access is a delivery mechanism that allows you to download hi-res content with no watermark for the following uses:
- Rough Cuts
- Preliminary Edits
An Easy-access agreement is available at the company level and set up through an account executive. You can use Easy-access items you've downloaded for 30 days without paying to license the items. If you decide to use any Easy-access items in a final project (for example, final materials distributed inside or outside your organization), then you must pay for the use of the items.
As you browse the site, items available through your Easy-access agreement are clearly marked and are restricted to specific portfolios or collections per the terms of your agreement.
Note: If you are a subscription customer, images marked as Easy-access are not included with your subscription package.
To view Easy-access items you've downloaded
To review Easy-access download details or license items you've downloaded
- Sign in to the site, and click My account in the upper-right of the page.
- In the center-left of the page, next to View, click All downloads, and then select Easy-access.
- Sign in to gettyimages.com.
- In the upper-right of the page, move the pointer over My account, and then select Downloads.
- On the Search download history page, next to View downloads by, click Easy-access.
- Do any of the following:
- To select items you want to license for use in a final project, click Add to cart for each item you want, and then go to the shopping cart to complete your purchase.
- To select and remove items you don't want to use in a final project, click Mark as unused for each item.
Tip: To see a list of Easy-access downloads between a range of dates, click Specific date range next to the Most recent downloads drop-down box, and then select the date range you want.
Top of section
About embedded captions
When you download a single image at a time, you can choose to include the caption and other image details in the download. This information is particularly useful for identifying, tracking and sorting images. Note that caption and image details are available for single image downloads only, and not for multiple images that you download at one time.
Some or all of the following information will appear below the image you download:
- Location (city and country)
- Photographer name and title
- Image number
- Website name
The caption and details of the image are embedded in the file and are viewable by opening the image in a photo editing program.
To include the caption and other details when you download an image
Do one of the following:
On the search results page, click the Download image icon below the image you want to download, and then do the following:
- On the Available sizes pop-up window, select the image size you want, and then select the Include caption bar checkbox.
- Follow the instructions on the subsequent pop-up windows to complete your download.
- On the image details page, select the image size you want, and then do the following:
- Select the Include caption bar checkbox.
- Follow the instructions on the subsequent pop-up windows.
- To view the caption and other details, open the image in a photo editing program.
Note: Including the caption and image details may result in longer download times.
Top of section
Why can’t I license or download images?
You must request an account in order to license or download images from the WireImage website. Simply click Request an account in the upper right, and on the Why request an account? page, click Click here. You will be automatically redirected to the Getty Images site to fill out the requested fields on the online registration form. An account executive will evaluate your information and will let you know the status of your request.
Otherwise, if you already have an account on wireimage.com, gettyimages.com, contourbygettyImages.com or filmmagic.com, we may have consolidated your sign in details. Try signing in with the same username and password you use to sign in to gettyimages.com.
Note: Once you sign in, you may be prompted to update your profile details.
Top of section
Can I view my download history?
Yes. In the upper-right navigation bar, click My account.
Top of section
How do I review or update the details of my download history?
To review your download history, click My account in the upper-right of the page.
To edit the details of your download history, you must sign in to gettyimages.com. On the Getty Images site, in the upper-right navigation bar, place your pointer on My account, and then select Downloads.
Top of section
I selected multiple images to download but the Download link isn't active. Why?
You can only download images as specified by your license agreement. If you select multiple images to download or add to a lightbox either by clicking All next to Select or by selecting a checkbox below each thumbnail, some checkboxes might not show as selected because one or more of the images aren’t available to download per your license agreement.
To ensure that the images you’ve selected are available for you to download, we recommend that you first click Downloadable. The checkboxes below each thumbnail will be selected. Any checkboxes not selected indicate an item that isn’t downloadable per your license agreement.
Top of section
Can I reduce the number of clicks it takes to download images?
Yes. You can reduce the number of clicks during the download process by selecting the Always download the largest file size available checkbox on the Available sizes pop-up window.
Note: Always download the largest file size available checkbox is only available when you select images to download from the search results page.
At a later time, if you want to change the setting so that you manually select the file size each time you download, you can do so by clearing the checkbox on the Please wait for your download to begin or the Preparing zip file for download pop-up windows.
Tip: For Easy-access downloads, click the Don’t show this message again checkbox on the This image is available via Easy-access download pop-up window to further reduce the number of prompts during the download process.
Top of section